Josh and I have just spent a lovely and productive Victoria Day weekend planting our newly expanded vegetable garden. We’ve converted two of our flower beds to accommodate our 25 strawberry plants and 7 tomato plants, amongst other newcomers. I’m very excited for our edible garden this year. We actually started our seeds early enough this year and our tomato plants are over a foot tall already! We also have a variety of herbs this year and our watermelon seedling is still alive!
Here’s a list of what’s in our garden this year:
- tomatoes: black cherry, blanche beaute, new: yellow cherry, beefsteak and ruffled red
- herbs: sweet basil, thyme, chives, cilantro and parsley
- garlic: five different varieties (one did not survive the fridge)
- sweet red pepper
- wax beans
- sugar snap peas
- carrots: scarlet nantes and Chanteny
- veestar strawberries
- blueberries: northland and northcountry
not planted yet: golden midget watermelon
Our local CSA share starts up again in 3 weeks. Soon, we’ll be back to eating all local, all the time.